Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Beverly Jean Sack

I was born in Milwaukee on September 29, 1948.  I'm positive I'm here but I can't find a single record on ancestry.com to verify that.  

I'm not sure but I think this might be the first picture of my dad and me:


I think these next 5 pictures are pictures of me.


Me with Karen Klink in the background



I'm guessing I was about 2 years old in this next picture.  
I can still remember my mother being mad at me for wiggling while she was cutting my bangs.  Well, darn it, that hair falling on my nose was itchy!

My brother took this picture with our little Brownie 127.  I remember making the scarf in 4-H.  It was a heavy dark brown linen-type material, not very attractive but it was an easy project and it kept my head warm.  All we had to do was cut a square of fabric, sew around 1 inch from the edge, and pull out the threads to fray the edge.  Our second 4-H sewing project was to make an apron out of gingham.  I think mine was turquoise and white.  I also remember drawing and coloring a poster of the food groups for some 4-H event.  We lived out in the country so scheduled activities were few and far between.



Here's an aerial view of the farm where I lived from the time I was 2-1/2 until my dad died when I was 11.



I went to a one-room schoolhouse in the country, Gahlman Grade School, several miles from our farm.  I went there from 1st grade through 6th grade.  There was no pre-school or kindergarten.  I walked to and from school every single day, no matter what the weather was like.  During the winter, if we wanted hot lunch, we packed our soup or spaghetti in glass jars and the teacher put them into a pan of hot water on top of the big boiler(?)/heater in the classroom so they'd be warm by lunchtime.

Here is the entire classroom in 1960. That's me in the upper-left.   


Going to Juneau Public School after my dad died was a very awkward time in my life, made even more so that I joined Band and had to use my cousin Kenny's old coronet.  I included the following pictures taken at the Dodge County Hospital because, "...it is what it is, it's not what it should have been, not what it could have been, it is what it is." (Quoted from a famous actress's dad.)






I was never very good at the coronet.  I would have liked to play the flute but I was too shy and intimidated to ever suggest that. 

I graduated from high school in 1966 with cat-eye glasses and an Aqua-Net helmet head! From there I went to Madison Area Technical School to pursue a degree in Secretarial Science but I hated shorthand.  My biggest regret is not becoming a nurse.  I was accepted into nursing school in Milwaukee but decided instead to go to Madison.  C'est la vie!

Look for more about that in a future book, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment