Monday, September 24, 2012

Isabel Katherine Klink (nee Shultze)

September 3, 1905 - February 4, 1997



My Aunt Isabel was 91 when she died in 1997.  Here's a picture from her youth.





She was married to my Uncle Vinnie, 12/14/1900 - November 1972.  I don't have any pictures of him but if you imagine a short, portly German, that would be him.  He taught me how to say, "Dog farts fried in butter" in German.

They had 5 children born within a 16-year period!

Florian Vincent born in 1925
Richard Aaron (Dick) born in 1931 (no picture and he died 11/26/1988)
Carol Jean born 1935
Karen and Kenneth born in 1941

Uncle Vinnie had prostate cancer and died in a hospital in Madison, Wisconsin, where I was living at the time.  My cousin Karen called me and I rushed up to the hospital but he died just before I got there.

Federal census records show he was living at the county hospital in 1919 when he was 19. He had 2 brothers and 2 sisters that lived there also.  I was always aware that his parents ran the place before he and my aunt took over.

When my aunt and uncle were retiring in the late 1960's, Dick and his wife Shirley wanted to take over from my aunt and uncle.  About that time, things were drastically changing in the mental health area and many, many patients were being mainstreamed into society. Sometimes I wonder if that is partially the cause of some of the problems we have today. Anyway, Dick was a biology teacher in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, and with the changes taking place, I wonder if he didn't have the credentials that were now needed.



No comments:

Post a Comment